Our screenwriting program encourages you to develop your voice and hone your craft. From very short to feature length, from thrillers to art films, from fantasy to documentaries, from comedies to tragedies, you are encouraged to experiment as a screenwriter. You’ll receive hands-on experience in filming, directing and editing your own short scripts in our film production seminar. Our prizewinning screenwriting faculty members come from both coasts, and their teaching styles reflect both an independent and more commercial sensibility. They have expertise and production credits in feature film writing, short films, TV writing and web series.
We are a small program whose students and alumni consistently win and place in contests against the behemoths of MFA programs and the world at large.
Past visiting screenwriters include:
- Academy Award winner John Patrick Shanley (Moonstruck, Doubt)
- Academy Award winner Bobby Moresco (Crash)
- Academy Award nominee Debra Granik (Winter’s Bone)
- Pulitzer Prize winner Marsha Norman (’night, Mother)
- Academy Award nominee Alec Sokolow (Toy Story)
- Kevin Willmott (Chi-Raq)
- Sabrina Dhawan (Monsoon Wedding)
- Archie Borders (Pleased to Meet Me)
- Full-length feature filmscripts by alumni have been sold to Disney, Universal and TriStar; television episodes by alumni have aired on the Disney Channel.
- Alums hold professional positions, including as a staff writer for Canadian Broadcasting Company and series producer for Marvel Animation.
- Alum scripts have been named to the Black List, Blood List, and Hit List.
- Our alumni include the Grand Prize Winner, Spotlight Screenplay Competition; Winner, Final Draft Big Break Screenwriting Contest; Winner, WILDsound TV Pilot Festival and Winner, Best Screenplay, Vancouver International Women in Film Festival
- For more alumni successes, see The Little Dramatic Writing Program that Could.