Our writing for children & young adults program gives equal weight to audience considerations and serious study of craft. Our prize-winning, publishing faculty includes Newbery Honor winners and NEA Award winners who write picture books, middle-grade fiction and historical nonfiction and YA fiction and poetry. We also have faculty with expertise in children’s theatre.
Past visiting writers include:
- National Book Award winner Jacqueline Woodson (Brown Girl Dreaming)
- Newbery Medal winner Jack Gantos (Dead End in Norvelt)
- Newbery Medal winner Patricia MacLachlan (Sarah, Plain and Tall)
- Newbery Medal winner Nancy Willard (A Visit to William Blake’s Inn)
- Naomi Shihab Nye (Sitti’s Secrets)
- Lisa Rowe Fraustino (Ash)
- Donna Jo Napoli (Stones in Water)
- Daniel Handler a.k.a Lemony Snicket (A Series of Unfortunate Events)
- Alumni middle-grade and YA novels have been published by Scholastic, Candlewick, Simon and Schuster/Atheneum and more.
- Alumni prizes include the E.B. White Honor Book Award, the Nautilus Award, Christopher Award, Katherine Paterson Prize and numerous state prizes.
- Alumni books include the Bank Street Best Children’s Book of the Year.
- Alumni titles have been named to the Kids’ Indie Next list, Publishers Weekly “Flying Start,” ALA Quick Picks for Young Adults, ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers and more.
- Alumni books have been optioned for film rights, audiobook rights and foreign rights.