The Spalding MFA Program inspires a lot of passion in its students and alums, which might explain why we have one of the strongest alumni associations going. Read on for 13 opportunities available to alums, many of them at no cost.
MFA in Writing Alumni Opportunities
1. Membership in the Spalding MFA Alumni Association. When you graduate, you’re automatically inducted—with no membership dues and no fees.
2. Lifetime access to our archive of faculty lectures. Listen to high-level talks on craft, major authors, and literary movements. No charge.
3. Homecoming. A reading that celebrates newly published alums, plus peer workshops, lectures, professional development sessions, social activities, a faculty-alum mixer, and more. No charge for registration, though you might want to bring some fun money!
4. SpaldingCon, our alumni writing conference, features faculty-led workshops, master classes, talks from publishing professionals, and more. Think of it as the amped-up, more professionally focused version of Homecoming. $499 registration.
5. Our MFA alumni website, including resources and opportunities for alums. No charge.
6. Online workshops. Whether you’re in New York, L.A., Kentucky or Singapore, any alum can participate in these video critique sessions. No charge.
7. Post-grad residency assistantships. In exchange behind-the-scenes help, a handful of alums get to participate in an entire residency in Louisville or abroad. Stipend included!
8. Free registration for 15 alums at the annual AWP conference. It’s the place to network in the academic and publishing worlds—and to reconnect with the Spalding MFA family. Free conference registration.
9. Our social media reach. Share your news on the MFA Program Facebook page and the MFA Alumni Association Facebook page. The Alum Association’s page, open only to Spalding MFAers, is ideal for sharing news or discussion within the alumni community. No charge.
10. The MFA blog. Sink into a weekly dose of writerly wisdom and advice from MFA faculty members, staff, and alums. No charge.
11. Regional alumni gatherings. The Alumni Association hosts events around the country, from an evening’s socializing to a weekend writing retreat. Costs vary.
12. A post-graduate residency, or even an entire post-grad semester. Alums are welcomed back anytime for faculty-led study and a renewed connection to the community. Tuition rates apply.
13. International travel with our summer residencies in Kyoto, Barcelona, Banff, Santiago and beyond. Part vacation, part reunion, these trips prove that membership in the Spalding MFA family will keep taking you unexpected places. Travel costs vary.
Are you a Spalding MFA alum? Are you looking to give back? Here’s where you can make a donation to the Naslund-Mann Scholarship Fund, MFA Alumni Endowed Scholarship Fund, or other fund to help support an incoming student just beginning the Spalding MFA journey.
Questions? Email the MFA office or call 502-873-4400.