Discover a top-tier low residency MFA program that celebrates creativity and community, not competition. Experience real intellectual stimulation in a supportive environment while gathering the tools to make your writing fresher, richer and more uniquely your own. Our program accepts only students whose work we admire and who demonstrate the potential to be great writers. We’re selective, and it shows. Join the ranks of our students and alums, whose achievements include major publications, movie releases and prestigious awards in all areas—fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, writing for children and young adults, screenwriting and playwriting.
- Creative nonfiction
- Writing for children & young adults
- Deepen your writing with cross-genre study
- Experience cultural events and interrelatedness of the arts
- Choose to explore a different international locale with summer residencies
- Take part in specialized seminars from film production to teaching
- Receive feedback on up to 225 pages of original writing & revision in a semester
- Choose your length of study with options for a six- or nine-month semesters
Semesters begin with a residency that brings together talented students and an outstanding faculty for 10 intensive, interactive days of workshop, craft lectures, readings and special sessions. Our residencies will leave you exhilarated, informed and ready to write. Back home, you’ll begin one-on-one independent study with a faculty mentor, writing and revising original work while studying classic and contemporary texts from a reading list you help shape. You’ll be challenged to take risks as you elevate your craft. Our low residency program allows you to:
A top 10 low residency MFA program by Poets & Writers
Alumni and students have published and produced more than 300 books, plays and films
The MFA in Writing program is a member of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs
Learn more about us on our blog.