Review the information on the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity (CALE) website and reach out via email ([email protected]) with questions specific to your situation. We are happy to schedule meeting to discuss your questions.

No. If you meet the requirements for admission to that college or university, you cannot be denied based solely on the fact that you have a disability.

Yes! If you wish to receive academic accommodations, you must submit relevant documentation and be approved by the Center for Accessiblity and Learning Equity (see Documentation Guidelines).

Yes! We will review documentation more than four years old and provide temporary accommodations while you work on updating documentation.

Yes, in most cases you can be given a temporary accommodation letter while you are in the process of gaining documentation. Please contact us for more specific information.

You would need to contact a professional in the area of the suspected disability and discuss obtaining a complete an evaluation to document whether or not you have a disability. More specifically, you should be asking for a full battery of psychological assessments to determine a diagnosis.

If you are unable to provide documentation from a psychiatrist, psychologist, or certified mental health professional, please reach out to Spalding University’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) for a full battery of assessments at no additional charge. This process may take two or more sessions at the Spalding University Counseling Center to complete.

If you have questions about what kind of professional services to seek, you may stop by the Center of Accessibility and Learning Equity to discuss options.

No but we work closely with the counseling center. Please reach out to the Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) at [email protected].

It is not the responsibility of the post-secondary school to conduct or pay for a new evaluation. It is the responsibility of the student to seek funding to pay an appropriate source to pay for the evaluation. If you are eligible for and/or receive Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services, you may be able to get an evaluation through that agency at no cost to you. A full assessment is available at no additional charge for Spalding students through Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS).

  • The application process must be completed for each academic year in order to access services.
  • If you wish to use your academic accommodations, it will be your responsibility to share your official accommodations letter issued to you from the university with your professors each session.
  • Academic accommodations are not retroactive, therefore it is highly recommended you share your official university accommodations letter with your professors at the beginning of each session to avoid a delay in services.

It is up to you to disclose your disability whenever and to whomever you would like. If you have received accommodations in high school through either a 504 plan or IEP, you may need some academic adjustments to be successful in college. Again, that is entirely up to you. You are not required to disclose your disability unless you want to access services through the Center for Accessiblity and Learning Equity. However, accommodations are not retroactive- we recommend you share your accommodation letter with each professor at the start of your class(es)! You may find that you don’t need to use accommodations in each and every class, but it is always a good idea to give your professors a heads up!

Information collected from health care professionals will not be released outside of the Center for Accessiblity and Learning Equity without your documented consent. Likewise, we will not speak with other health care professionals, coaches, friends, or your parents without your documented consent.

Your transcripts will not reflect the use of any type of accommodation, nor will they indicate if you were registered with the Center for Accessiblity and Learning Equity.

We keep all submitted documentation on file for at least one year after a student leaves the university.

Students who are not receiving the accommodations they are eligible for and have requested through the CALE, should first contact the Director of Accessibility and Learning Equity (on the contact tab). If after mediation a student still has reason to believe they have been denied accommodations, they are encouraged to utilize the mechanisms in place to bring about a timely resolution. Please read the Grievance Process tab for further information.

You may contact the Director of Accessibility and Learning Equity to discuss your particular concerns or refer to the Grievance Procedures found on the Accessibility Services website for the steps to ensure that you may raise your concerns and have them addressed.

Spalding University is committed to making reasonable modifications to its rules, policies, and practices as required by law to afford people with disabilities an equal opportunity to access its programs, services, and activities. Please see the ADA National Network Service Animals Booklet and the Spading University Assistance Animal Policy PDF for further information.

The Counseling and Psychological Services Office (CAPS) offers counseling services for all students. Please contact CAPS at [email protected].

Spalding University has several student support services available including peer tutoring, study halls, test prep, study spaces, research and writing consultations, and a Math Lab with specific, subject-based tutoring.

If using assistive technology has been suggested as a learning aid for students in their psycho educational evaluation, it is highly recommended they consider purchasing an aid for use at the post-secondary level. There are many different types of assistive technology aids that can be purchased to assist in note taking, reading text books, and writing essays. Interested students should contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for more information about assistive technology.

All of the academic buildings, as well as the two main residence halls, have an accessible entrance.

Questions? Contact Us